Do items on the property of a home that I purchased belong to me?

I purchased a home approximately 6 months ago from owner. The owner had a play set in the backyard that he wanted to return to pick up as it had been raining and he didn’t want to destroy the yard loading it up. Via e-mails and text messages, I agreed to give him a couple weeks. Now, months later he is telling me that he is coming onto my property to take what is “rightfully his” since I agreed he could have it. Do I have to forfeit the play set or is it mine since it was not in our written contract and was with the property when we moved in?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have assorted e mails between you and the former owner of the property that you bought where you agreed to allow him additional time to pick up the play set, you essentially through your e mails have agreed that the play set is his.

Although the former owner has been untimely in getting it carted off from your property, the play set is his per the oral agreement that you have with him. I recommend that you set up a set time to have him come by and pick it up. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.