Do I really need a lawyer for our divorce?

My wife and I have an agreement on how to split up our possessions. If we just fill out the correct information and follow the correct procedure, is there any chance that I might be ordered to pay for her and her son? He is 16 and I’ve been providing the bulk of the income for 12 years until my wife cheated on me.

Asked on September 7, 2017 under Family Law, Rhode Island


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, the law only requires that you pay support for natural children or children that you have adopted.  Did you legally adopt your step son?  If the answer is yes then you will be required to pay child support.  If the answer is no then likely you will not be required to pay.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.