Do I owe my mechanic for work performed after leaving him a message to stop?

On Friday afternoon after receiving the estimate I told my mechanic to go ahead with the work. He said the vehicle wouldn’t be ready until Wednesday or Thursday. Later Friday, I called and left a message to not do any further work on the vehicle I was getting rid of it. Saturday morning I stopped by and left a written message not to do any work on the vehicle. They are closed on the weekend. When I called Monday they said it was finished because they came in over the weekend to complete it but didn’t see my messages. Do I still owe them for the work they completed?

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What you have is a classic triable issue of fact as to whether you owe money for repairs to your vehicle that you requested not be done but were done after the message was given but it is unknown whether the mechanic received such before the work was performed. This is why people go to trial for the trier of fact to make the decision concerning the dispute.

Most likely you will owe for some services rendered to repair your car, but perhaps not at current market rate. I suggest that you try and resolve the dispute with the repair facility in an amount that both you and its owner can live with rather than having the court system resolve the dispute.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.