Do I need to resubmit forms I-130 and I-485 with a new date and signature or will the first form do if they were sent back due to insufficient/incorrect check amounts?

We submitted the correct check amounts the first time around and I suspect they just lost one of them since it was not returned. Now we have to re-submit both forms. Since the dates we signed the forms are by now a couple of months old I don’t know if we can simply resubmit the package as is with a new check or if we need to re-copy all forms and update any dates to ensure our application is not sent back again. Are there any forms that have time-sensitive dates on them?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can just resubmit the forms with the original signatures and do not need to resign or redate them if there is nothing else that needs to be corrected on the forms themselves.  You should always STAPLE the checks to the forms so that there is no chance of the payment being separated from the petition/form.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.