Do I need to own a house or have good credit in order to safely accept the deed of my sister’s house?

My sister is very sick and I’ve got the power of attorney. She wants to transfer the house to my name too. I was told that I need to own a house and have good credit, if so then I may not be able to accept her wish.

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  Who told you that?  Is it because the house has a mortgage on it?  You can not transfer the house if it does unless you refinance in your name.  Please seek legal help in your area.  You can inherit the home via Will and continue to pay the mortgage and the lender can not call in the loan.  But maybe a trust would better suit your situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.