What to do about a small estate?

My father recently passed away. I made the hospital decisions verbally and signed the funeral papers being the next of kin. My father had 2 older estranged out of state sons. He had no Will and the only property he owned are his car and bank account. Do I need to obtain a power of attorney in order to finalize everything such as accounts, transferring car title, income taxes, and etc. If so how do I go about obtaining one?

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A power of attorney ends at death.  What state are you in?  If New York, e-mail me and I will direct you to the appropriate place.  Good luck.

Sharon M. Siegel



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.