Do i need to mention police questioning when asked if I have ever been arrested?

I was accused of sexual assault a year ago and the police took me for questioning. They let me go right after they took my detailsprints, picture, etc. for investigation. After sometime the person acuusing me told the police she wanted to drop the case. Now if I am been asked at my immigration visa interview if I have been ever arrested or anything to do with the police, do I have to mention the incident with the police?

Asked on January 4, 2019 under Criminal Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The fact si that being questioned is not the same as being arressted. Therfore,  you cn answer "No" to this question. Only if you are diestly asked about being detained and/or questioned to you need to say "Yes". 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not need to mention the incident you describe if the question you are answering is about being arrested or charged. Being questioned is NOT the same as being arrested.
If the question does ask if you were ever detained by or questioned by the police, then you would have to answer "yes." You have to answer exactly what the question asks: you don't, however, need to volunteer any information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.