do I need to hire an attorney to file written appearanceand response for divorce?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Family Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, you don't need an attorney for this but it would be advisable to have one.  You want your interests protected as fully as possible.

If money is an issue try legal aid or see if there is a law school nearby to where you live.  Law schools run clinics that would handle this sort of thing.

If you are able to pay for an attorney get a recommendation from someone or try

Good luck.

B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not an Illinois lawyer, and I don't have the facts of your case, both of which I'd need before I could give you advice.  And whether or not you need an attorney depends on quite a few things, usually.  It's usually best to have a lawyer, and one place you can look for one is our website,

These days, you can usually find the necessary forms on the internet, but the question is often whether you can figure out which form or forms you need, and how to fill them in for your own case.  If you have no children, no real estate, no other money or property that you're arguing over, and ideally if you have a written agreement already, then doing it yourself might not be hard for you at all.  But as you start adding any one or more of those issues back into the case, it becomes much easier to make a mistake -- and it can be an expensive mistake.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.