Do I need to hand over my retirement information to my wife’s lawyer for the indemnification of debt form and marriage settlement/agreement?

My wife moved out 2 months ago. We want to get divorced. We both have very little money, or assets. I had drawn up a marriage settlement giving her all the furniture and all of our mutual possessions from our marriage. It had spaces for witness’s signature’s and a notary. I was trying to go for an uncontested divorce. She keeps her debts, I keep mine. I don’t own the home I’m living in, it is my late grandmother’s. I’m letting her keep her car, stocks and her individual bills. Her lawyer wants to revise my form so it “will hold up in court”. There are no children involved in this case, nor is there any abuse or infidelity.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, I think that if her attorney is asking that you need to comply with the state requirements for financial disclosure.  Retirement benefits   are indeed potentially marital property.  So I would speak with an attorney yourself here before you start agreeing to things to find out what she cal legally ask for and what you have to legally divide.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.