Do I need to get a lawyer for my DUI court?

Even if I’m guilty?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


V. Iyer / Iyer Law Office, LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are presumed innocent until the State proves your guilt. You are generally better off if you hire a DUI defense attorney or if you cannot afford one; to atleast apply for the public defender. Remember once you plead guilty it is almost irreversible. Even if you are "guilty" as you say; the real issue is whether the State has met its obligations of complying with your constitutional and statutory rights. If the State violated your rights then some or all of the evidence could be suppressed and the DA may not have a case to take to trial or even for you to plead. I have had that happen many a times. So as you see your guilt or innocence is not so important but whether the State complied with the laws which is paramount. All the Best.

Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Typically when charged with DUI, the prosecutor or city attorney will allow you to enter into a plea deal. The problem with DUI charges is that different judges/courts require different things upon a guilty plea. Some courts allow for probation whereas other courts will request some jail time in addition to alcohol treatment and counseling. It is always best to have a experienced criminal defense attorney help you navigate the murky waters of a DUI offense, even if you plan on pleading guilty. Often times, defense attorneys are able to work out plea deals that involve reduced criminal charges, which in turn will help you with probation, fines, costs and eliminate any jail time. Speak with a criminal attorney in your area about the facts of your case and see what's available to you before you march into court and plead guilty without the advice of counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.