Do I need to get a court order to get my name changed after marriage if we have been marriage for over a year ?

I live in North Dakota and would like to change
my last name to my husbands name. And
possibly change my miaden name to my
middle name. We have been married for over a
year. Would I need to get a court order for this
or how do I start the process ?

Asked on August 31, 2017 under Family Law, North Dakota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am unfamiliar with the form of a marriage license in North Dakota but in many states the license itself asks if you wish to be known by your maiden name alone or if you wish to be known by either name or a different hyphenated name.  What does yours say?  Likely not what you want to do now?  Then you may want to do a legal name change. You would likey file a Petition in District Court for a name change.  Go down and speak with the clerk.  Generally they are very helpful.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.