Do I need to file I-765?

I got married to a US citizen, and I submitted on July forms I-485, I-130 I-131. Did biometric already, and I just got my parole approved. My visa O1-B will expire on mid December. Should I send form I-765?

Asked on October 20, 2017 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you want to be able to work once your O-1 expires, you should submit form I-765 because your application for adjustment of status probably will not come up for interview before that time.  There should not be a filing fee with the I-765 since you are filing it as part of the I-485 application.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.