Do I need to file a police report if Iran over a curb and some bushes in a median but there was no damage besides a bent bush?

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Accident Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There are reporting requirements like for damage over usually $500.00 and for not doing a hit and run. So, if you hit some curb and damaged a bush, there may not be a police report to file regarding the damages but there may be a state statute regarding hit and run and if the hit and run statute involves property damage with no minimum damage, then you might be held liable under that secondary statute. Consider reviewing your state's statutes on this matter and consider filing a report if you feel you might be in trouble for a hit and run.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.