Do I need an attorney for my second DUI in 15 years?

I was given diversion on my first.

Asked on November 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First of all after so long a period, for sentencing purposes, this most retent DUI will be considered to be your first. However, this doesn't mean that the maximum penalty cannot be imposed. The fact is that with a DUI case, legal representation is always best. Competant counsel can possibly have the charge dismissed outright or at least reduced.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.