Do I need a report for insurance regarding a single vehicle accident and no other person or personal property was involved?

Asked on December 28, 2018 under Accident Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

In your state (North Carolina), you have to report a single vehicle accident if any one person--including you--suffered $1,000 or more of damage. So the issue here is the extent of the damage to your car. That's the law; practically, if no one was hurt, no one else was involved, no one else suffered property damage, etc. and you pay out of pocket, even if your damage is over the threshold and you should have reported the accident, there is no one who might report your lapse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.