Do I need a real estate attorney in the city where the property is, or the city where I live?

I need help with a tenant. I live in Houston, TX, but my property is in Corpus Christi, TX. Does it matter where the attorney is located within TX?

Asked on September 8, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It does not matter where the attorney is located.  The attorney should be a member of the State Bar.  Even if the attorney is not a member of the State Bar in your state, there are certain procedures to follow with the State Bar under which the attorney could represent you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.