Do I need a legal form to be the guardian of my elderly mother?

Asked on February 4, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, in a sense.  You need to file a Petition to be apppointed as the guardian of your Mother.  The court must appoint you and will if they feel that there is a need.  If you are a Power of Attorney sometimes that can suffice (in certain circumstances).  Good luck.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Ordinarily assuming you mother is still competent you need to have a power of attorney dated and signed by her before a notary public setting forth the scope of your duties as her attorney in fact. As such, I suggest that you have a Wills and trust attorney consult with your mother as to what her desires and needs are and move from there as to the drafting of any needed documentation such as the power of attorney I suggested.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.