do i need a lawyer to file a satisfaction of mortgage ?

if i don’t need a lawyer what do i need to do?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is no requirement that a lawyer file a satisfaction of mortgage.  The document must be sent to the county clerk in the county where the original mortgage was recorded and filed -- or registrar, in some counties -- for recording.  If the mortgage company paid your taxes on the property, you should also advise the local tax collector and the your insurance company to send future bills to you, the homeowner. I would not advise sending such an important document in the mail and make sure you have a copy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.