Do I need a lawyer to draft “a written statement” for my I-751 late filing?

Forms were returned for lack of written statement. Should a written statement be notarized?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Immigration Law, District of Columbia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on the reasons for the late filing and whether or not you feel that you can provide an adequate explanation on your own.  There is no need for an attorney unless you don't feel that you know what to do on your own or know what to do but are not able to do it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.