Do I need a lawyer of my own ?

I filed for divorce from my husband but he
refuses to sign the papers. We have no
children and no property together. He has a
lawyer that’s calling me to move my stuff out
of the apartment we lived together in. Do I
need to get a lawyer of my own and is there
any ramifications if I just leave everything
I don’t want in the apartment?

Asked on October 9, 2017 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I would strongly suggest that you seek out legal help.  This attorney is already forcing issues and you are lready feeling the effects.  I bet if you leave with what you want instead of having an agreement in writing as to how you are splitting marital things it will become a long drawn out legal battle.  If the apartment was the marital home you have just as much right to be there as your husband.  Get some muscle on your side too.  I bet it will move it along.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.