Do I need a lawyer if I got T-boned?

The other party had zero insurance blew through a light and T-boned my car making it

unusable. Do I need a lawyer if the other party might not have any assets since they didn’t even have insurance? Would my insurance cover me fully without a lawyer I have for coverage and PIP?

Asked on April 25, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you were not injured in the accident, you will have difficulty finding an attorney to represent you.  If you were not injured, you don't need an attorney because it is just a matter of resolving the property damage.
If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance, you can file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company to be compensated for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your car.
If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence. Depending on the cost of repairs, you might be able to file your lawsuit for negligence in small claims court. In addition to recovering the property damage (cost of repairs), you can enforce the court judgment with a wage garnishment against the at-fault party. 
Upon prevailing in the case, you can recover court costs, which include the court filing fee and process server fee.
If you were injured in the auto accident, it would be advisable to retain a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.