What to do if I divorced back 2 years ago and my ex-husband kept one of the cars that is under my name and now he can’t make the payment anymore?

He is willing to give me the car back so I can continue with the payment and don’t hurt my credit, Do I need any paper or need to go to court to make it official? Do I need a lawyer?

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In order to best protect your interests I would consider a formal - i.e., written modification - of the agreement.  Having the court "so order" it is probably a bit of over kill but it could also be a part of the process.  Consulting with an attorney is never bad but then make sure you each have different lawyers.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.