Do I need a judge’s permission to serve my husband for divorce through publication?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You don't need the judge's permission to serve your husband by publication.  If you don't know your husband's whereabouts, he can be served by publication.  It would be advisable to check with the court clerk to find out how long the notice has to run in the legal notices section of the newspaper to constitute valid service by publication because the length of time the notice is required to run in the newspaper varies from state to state.  Service by publication is effective even if your husband never sees the notice in the newspaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.