Do I need a green card and ead card to get a ssn?

Hi so my husband entered the usa on a k1
visa, we got married but did not get his
ssn in the 90 days, he applied for his
ead and ssn at the same time, got his
ead but not a ssn. We went to the ssa
office and were told he has to wait for
his green card to get a ssn, that they
can’t just use his ead to get a ssn if
uscis did not forward the info to them.
Is this right?

Asked on March 2, 2019 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

No, this is not correct.  He is eligible for a SS# once he has his EAD.  You should try to speak to a supervisor the next time you go to the SSA office.  You can also call the helpline.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.