Do I need a executor of estate document tin order o receive my deceased brother’s last paycheck?

It was for $700 and he had no estate.

Asked on September 20, 2014 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Each state has a method for probating a small estate and Pennsylvania is no different.  You would file a "Dispositions Independent of Letters", pursuant to 20 Pa.C.S. section 3102 ("Settlement of small estates upon petition") in the Orphans Court.  This would allow you to collect and distribute his paycheck.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.