Do I need a business license to freelance graphic design/be an independent contractor in graphic design?

I would especially like to know if this applies to me working over the internet with people out of state. I would also like to know if I will have to pay taxes?

Asked on July 13, 2014 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not need a business license to be a freelancer or independent contractor. Yes, you have to pay taxes on your income; while you should speak with an accountant about the particulars of your situation, it is likely you will pay not just federal income tax, but also state income tax to the state you reside in. You pay tax on ALL income, no matter where earned or how.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.