What forms can/must I submit for an adjustment of status?

I am a US citizen, my wife entered the US with a K-1 and we just got married. Now we are planning to submit the I-485 for adjustment of status. Along this form, I see that we can submit other forms I-765 and I-131. Must I submit all 3 forms or can I just submit the I-485 for adjustment of status? We had talk about working or traveling out side of the U.S. and since she is pregnant we agree she will not be doing neither one. No work or traveling for her for the moment.

Asked on February 20, 2016 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You don't have to file those forms but their fee is already included so you might as well file them too.  in other words, they do not cost anything extra.  She may not be traveling internationally, but she may want to work or even just apply for a social security number so that it will be easier for you to add her to various accounts and the EAD will make it possible for her to do that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.