Do I legally have to provide my insurance to the owner of the vehicle I backed into in San Diego county, CA? I offered to pay him directly. He is still demanding insurance.

Asked on June 6, 2009 under Accident Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You must exchange insurance information at the scene of a car accident if it occurred in California.  Failure to do so and then leaving the scene is a crime.

What you need to do now is immediately give the other driver your insurance information before he reports you to the police.  Then contact your insurance company; not notifying your insurer in a timely manner is a defense to their covering the claim; not to mention they could drop your coverage entirely. If you need a car accident lawyer in San Diego, CA, you can find one at

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.