Do I have too make a Will out with a lawyer or can I just put my it on a piece of paper and sign it?

Asked on October 8, 2013 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

A holographic will is one that is signed, dated and entirely in your own handwriting. 

If the will is not entirely in your own handwriting, then you will need two witnesses to the will.  You will sign in the presence of the two witnesses who will also sign.

Although you don't need an attorney to draft your will, it would be advisable to have an attorney to be certain you have complied with all the legal requirements because if you have not complied with the legal requirements, the will may be invalidated by the probate court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.