Do I have to let my son’s father see him at times other them whats in the court order because it’s more convenient for him?

I have full custody of my son with his father only having visitation every other weekend (Saturday 9 am – Sunday 9 pm) and every other Wednesday for 6 hours. He is threatening me with court because I’m refusing to let him have our son any day he wants him through the week. And he is now living over an hour and 20 minutes away and wants to get our kindergardener through the week still. Additionally, he wants me to drive half way like the court order says. I offered to drive half way on his weekend visitation but told him I’m unable to through the week.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No,  you do NOT need to provide any visitation other than as provided in the court order, if you don't want to--so you don't need to change days, hours, location, etc. He is free to go to court and try to get the court to change the visitation in the order, such as if he can show changed circumstances which require some alteration--and you are free if  he makes that application to oppose it. Only if and when he gets a court to alter the order would you have to do anything different.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.