Do I have to respond to requests from law firms representing my health insurance companythat ispursuing subrogation?

About a year ago I was attacked by drunk friend at a party. I went to a hospital and received treatment for my injuries. My health insurance paid for the medial bills. About 6months later I received a letter from a law firm representing my health insurance company indicating that an audit revealed that my insurance company may be entitled to payments from the other party under subrogation. The letter requested details about the incident and whether or not I have sought damages. I have since forgiven the friend and have not sought any damages from him. Do I have to respond to the letter’s request for information?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Most likely you do have to respond to requests from law firms that are representing your health insurance carrier regarding moneys that it expended on your behalf concerning health care providers for injuries that you sustained as a result of an attack by a drunk friend at a party.

The reason is that under the insurance policy that you have and the benefits you received for medical care, you signed an agreement agreeing to assist your insurance carrier. If you do not voluntarily assist, you could be subpoenaed and be forced to answer questions in a deposition. I would cooperate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.