Do I have to provide financial support for my wife who admits to having another relationship and left while I was deployed?

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Financial support is dependant on the length of your relationship (married relationship) and whether you reside in a community property state, at fault state, equitable distribution or combination thereof.  Essentially, if the court is in a state that has jurisdiction over you does not concern itself with at fault (i.e., no fault state), you may very well still have to provide support in the form of alimony. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.