do I have to pay, if my child will not attend

my daughter attends a daycare and I have decided to move her to a more adequate
center. I told the director today that next Friday would be her last day. she
told me that they require a two week week and all of the week of
march 3rd. because I have worked there within the last month I know that they
usually count the current week as one week and the following week as the last.
can they legally require me to pay for that week that my child will not attend?

Asked on March 22, 2017 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

What is in the policies, terms of service, contract, etc. which you agreed to when you signed up? Whatever that is, you can be held to it (and if there is nothing in them about a two-week notice, you should not need to provide any notice at all; you only have to provide what you agreed, expressly or implicitly [e.g. by going there with knowledge of the policy] to). As a general matter, "two week" notice is more often that not held to be two full weeks, not a part week plus a full week, so if there is a two-week notice requirement, you probably have to make it two full weeks--e.g. give notice on Friday of week 1, and the last day will Friday two weeks later (week 3).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.