Do I have to pay for a hospital bill if the insurer rejected the claim but I only got that particularpolicy becausethe social worker advised me to?

Last month I received a bill from the hospital for my baby’s delivery from over 2 1/2 years ago (almost 3). The billing department states that the baby’s insurance at that time did not cover the expenses. The reason I do not see myself responsible for the bill is that social worker at the same hospital, advised me to add baby to this plan; they stated that it would cover the delivery costs. What should I do?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best thing for you to do given the late notice about the delivery costs for your child is to contact the person with the hospital who sent the invoice to discuss the situation stating that you believed that your helath insurance carrier had taken care of the bill long ago and see what the response is.

I would also contact your own insurance carrier at the time to advise it of the situation and the new invoice. You need to write both the hospital and the insurance company about the situation and the need to get it resolved keeping a copy of your letters for future need and see what transpires.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.