Do I have to let my baby’s father see him?

I was with my boyfriend for 8 months, then we broke up. I don’t feel comfortable with him seeing him. Can I get in trouble? What can I do?

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as you have custody of your child and there is no court order in effect allowing the child's father visitation rights, then you have no legal obligation to allow the father vistation. As such, you cannot presently get into trouble for not allowing the father visitation with the child. I suggest that you may want to consult with a family law attorney as to possible child support issues that the father is obligated for as well as other issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.