Do I have to let my daughter visit with her father’s parents?

My ex was deported indefinitely and I was granted sole custody with no visitation rights. I am scared that he is back in the country illegally and might want to take her; I am scared that they will aid him to do that or will cover up for him if he does it. Her grandpaents used to see her all the time, then they started to act weird and change their story of his whereabouts. They are now deperate calling me every week to try to see her; he emails my facebook to try to contact me. His family has ties to other states like Mexico and El Salvador and I am scared. I just want to ignore their request.

Asked on September 11, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can just ignore their request.  They can file a legal request for grandparent visitation.  Even then you can fight that request--and most likely successfully.  If they file such a request, I would recommend retaining a family law attorney to help you.

  Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.