Do I have to have a lawyer to recieve audio transcripts from a court proceeding?

The judge gave me 1 year of house arrest and 1 year probation for assult and battery. He said if I didn’t get into anymore trouble that the 1 year probation could be reduced to 3 months. Only when I received my paperwork it did not stipulate the 3 months.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You do not have to have a retained lawyer to request a certified copy of the audio transcripts of your sentencing proceeding.

All that needs to be done is to contact the court reporter who was at the proceeding to request a copy of a court transcript of your matter. You will be required to pay a charge for the reporter's work to reduce what was placed on the record in a transcript for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.