Do I have to go to court, in order for my boys to live with me?

My mother has custody of my 2 boys. I was going through some financial hard times, and I let them live with her until I could get on my feet. Their ages are 14, and 16. Since then, I’ve got a secure job with a very good company. I work hard, but I make pretty good money. I’ve also got great benefits. I have my own apartment, car, and I am able to provide for my boys. My Mother agrees, and wants my boys to live with me. Of course, my boys would want nothing more. Having said all that, do I have to go to court, in order for my boys to live with me?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a custodial order concerning your children where they are to live with your mother and you now wish them to reside with you with your mother's blessing, you will need to file a petition in the court where the current custodial order was issued seeking a modification as to it.

In order to accomplish what you want, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in your endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.