Do I have to carry a license if some sort to rent out house for an owner or represent for them in evictions?

Asked on February 9, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can be their property manager (be the one who handles the rental--i.e. vetting the tenants, getting the leases signed, collecting the rent, taking care of repairs, etc.) with nothing more than authorization from the home owner to do so...such authorization is best done by a written agreement which lays out exactly your responsibilities and your compensation.
With authority from them, you can "represent" them in evictions in all ways EXCEPT in court (or to clarify: you can testify in court in an eviction case, but only as a witness--e.g. a witness to the unpaid rent and amount owed); only a licensed attorney can represent another person or a business in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.