Do I have to appear for a depositionif I have not beensubpoenaed?

A credit card company turned over debt to lawyer to collect $500 debt. They sued me and raised the debt to about $2500. I was forced into signing agreement that was too high. I told the court that I could not afford the payment but if I didn’t agree they would place a judgement on me. Which they ended up doing anyhow when I was only able to make 1 payment. They then asked for financial info which I sent. Now they want to deposition me.

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you signed a settlement agreement resulting in a judgment against you and there has been a notice for your deposition to in order for the judgment creditor to obtain information about your income and asset status, the judgment creditor does not need to subpoena you for the deposition.

The reason why the judgment creditor does not need to subpoena you for the deposition is that you have signed the presumed judgment and appeared already on the action. A party who has appeared in an action involving him or her simply gets mailed the notice of the deposition. He or she needs not be served with a subpoena.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.