Do I have to allow my landlord to do a multi-family viewing in my rental property prior to moving out?

I have 30 days left on my rental agreement and my landlord has scheduled an “open house” style viewing with 4-5 families prior to my family moving out. We do not feel comfortable having that many people in our home with our children and personal belongings.

Asked on February 19, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you do: the law gives the landlord the right to show his or her property (and remember--while you live there, the landlord owns it) a reasonable number of times, at reasonable times of day, on reasonable notice, for purposes of selling or renting it.
A single open house for a period of an hour on prior notice is *very* reasonable--there is no doubt but that the landlord can do this. If anything is damaged or stolen during the viewing, you could sue the landlord for the value, and are not obligated to pay for any damage or cleaning to the unit required by the open house. You are advised to remove and lock up all valuables and to take lots of pictures the day before showing the condition of the home and any of your furniture prior to the showing, so as to document its pre-showing state in case you need to prove that damage was done by the showing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.