Do I have the right to see a complaint filed against me in the workplace?

I recently was talked to in vague detail of a report filed against me. However, I was never really told what I did just that I accused someone of stealing tips. This is the second time a report has been made and honestly I feel it’s false. I have been harassed by employees, bullied. I feel targeted and not heard.

Asked on March 24, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Maine


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you feel that you have been harrassed and bullied due to some form of legally actionable discrimination (i.e. based on your religion, race, age, disability, etc.), then you have a claim. However, you gave no indication of this being the case. Merely rude or boorish behavior does not give rise to a claim for a hostile work enviornment. Additionaly, unless the terms of an employment contract or union/collective bargaining agreement give you the right to view a complaint lodged against, you do not have such a right. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. At this point, you can either accept your current situation, complain but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.