Do I have the right as a new spouse to co-sign the deed to the house my husband owns.Thanks for your attention to this matter

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

you do not need to be a spouse to have the right to co-sign a deed.  There is no marital requirement whatsoever.  If your husband owned the house before he married you, he may transfer the house to you in its entirety or a partial interest in the house.  Again, it doesnt matter whether you are married or not.  For tax purposes however, it does matter and you, as his wife, should not be taxed on the transfer. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.