Do I have standing for a suit against my biological father’s Trust, if I’m his illegitimate daughter but there is proof of paternity in my mother’s sealed divorce decree?

I was told to contact his attorney upon his passing and did so 20 years ago. I was told by his attorney to “consider that done, thank you, goodbye”. I believe there to be millions of dollars in his estate and that I wronged by the attorney because he did not like my mother and the rumors of the attorney having affairs with my father’s wife.

Asked on July 23, 2014 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Here is my concern: the fact that 20 years has passed here. There are time limitations in order to contest probate of an estate or even going after the attorney for a breach of duty or malpractice.  Please go and speak with a very good estate litigator and discuss with him or her the facts surrounding this as soon as possible. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.