Do I have recourse and how should I proceed if I suspect a breach of fiduciary responsibilities?

While I don’t have a copy of my father’s living Will/Trust. I am quite certain of his intentions regarding the disbursement of his estate. I have detailed information of his assets as he provided this to me in his own hand writing (25 pages). The executor believes I am uninformed and I don’t want to give him the opportunity to cover his tracks. There was also to be a special needs trust for my brother who has been disabled for 40 years and I was to be the trustee.

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are in over your head battling an estates attorney over legal matters.  You need to retain an estates litigation attorney in assisting you in getting the evidence you need and presenting it in a compelling way to a judge who must hear your case.  Self help will get you nowhere fast and can even jeopardize your case and the outcome.  Be smart, lawyer up now!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.