Do I have grounds to have a certain judge diisses from my case

Can a judge in Arkansas whom has someone in their court room for failure to pay fines, contempt of court, failure to appear and a few other charges stay the judge over said person if he/she also served as said persons now ex spouse’s divorce attorney at the same time? Almost 3 years ago we went before said judge for these charges I mentioned above and she also served as his now ex-wife’s divorce lawyer at the same time she even had him served with his divorce papers on that day that we went. Well now we are fixing to have to face her again for the same charges and we want to know if we have grounds to have a different judge come in and do it?

Asked on March 5, 2017 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.