Do I have grounds to break my lease if my apartment complex doesn’t supply enough A/C to make the temperature go less than 85 degrees?

I have complained multiple times to my landlord about it being 85 to over 95 degrees in my apartment with the A/C on. The health department has been out twice to confirm that this is a problem that needs to be addressed and my 18 month old son is no longer able to live in my apartment because he was just released from the hospital for having dehydration resulting from this living condition.

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have written documentation from your local health department that the excess heat in your rental is unacceptable and poses a health problem due to your landlord's failure to remedy the air conditioning unit's failure to keep temperatures at an acceptable level, it would seem that under the laws of all states in this country that you would have a factual and legal basis to terminate your lease without recourse.

Before you do so, I suggest that to be on the safe side that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.