Do I have grounds for harassment?

I have lived in my apartment dor about a month. In this time I have received 6 written notices about my two dogs not being on their leashes and that I am not picking up after them. The dogs have been on their leases every time they have been outside and I also faithfully pick up after them. When I went to the leasing office to ask if the notices were neighbors complaining or the staff witnessing the agent said it was the staff witnessing. She said she had seen this as well so I asked her what my dogs looked like and if she had proof. She didn’t have proof or tell me a description of the dog.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The letters received about the belief that you pets were not on their leashes and you were not picking up after them are not deemed harassing from what you have written. They are simply a means to inform you that you may be in violation of the apartment complex's rules despite the fact that you disagree with the assertions.

From what you have written, I see no factual or legal grounds for you to claim that you are being harassed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.