Do I have grounds for emancipation if I am a 15 year old who is capable of supporting myself when given the proper opportunities and rights?

My mother has been is in an out of state prison for drug abuse. I lived on my own for quite sometime until I gave up my independence rights to live with my father and his new wife. However they limit my opportunities for personal betterment. Do I have grounds for emancipation if someone vouches that I’m paying room and board inside of their residence?

Asked on November 25, 2015 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, the minimum age to file for emancipation is 16. The most common way to obtain emanciaption is to file a petiton with the court; a hearing will need to be held in order for a judge to determine whether or not it is warranted. In order to be considered for emancipation you will need to show, among other things that, you have a safe place to stay, you can financially provide for yourself, and you are stable and mature enough to handle the responsibilities of adulthood. However, courts do not routinely grant emancipation. 
Also, although a minor may be emancipated for a specific purpose (i.e. in order to live independently), it does not mean that the child is completely emancipated. So, for example, a minor might be emancipated but they still may not be able to vote or purchase alcohol and may be required to attend school.At this point you should speak with a responsible adult (relative, minister, teache, etc.) and explian your reasons for wanting to leave. Possibly they can help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.