Do I have chance when a company truck hit me and totaled my car while I was uninsured

I was driving and a company truck proceeded to back up on a one way street and hit me and totaled my car. I have drivers license but know insurance. Can I ask the company for half the coast of replacing the car?

Asked on September 25, 2017 under Accident Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since you were not at fault in the accident, the fact that you were uninsured does not affect your claim. You should file a claim with the company's insurance carrier for the value of your vehicle; not just half of it.
If the case is settled with the company's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the company's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the company and its driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.